This is the third installment of my learning how to make some old favorites from my mom while she visited us. “Loubyeh bi Zeit” is an all-veggie dish with just three ingredients: Green Beans, onions, and olive oil. Oh and a lot of allspice. It’s a super simple recipe that cooks slowly on the stove for a while to get all the lovely flavor of the onions out.
- 3 medium-size sweet yellow onions, diced
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 4 packs of frozen green beans (12 oz. I like the “cut italian” beans)
- Ground allspice
1. Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions and season extremely generously with salt, black pepper, and especially allspice. You want the spices to be a layer of brown on top of the onions. Then stir well. The onions should look brownish right away.
2. Sautee for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
3. Mix the frozen beans into the sautéed onion. Season with salt. Keep stirring till they no longer look frozen.
4. Cover and let them cook, still on medium-high heat, around 20 minutes. Stir frequently. (You can clean up and do the dishes while waiting here!)
5. Then, reduce the heat to low, and let the beans and onions cook, covered, for another 25 minutes.
Enjoy! I can eat this as a main meal. It’s so filling.
This is what the plate should look like when you’re done!
Optional: Eat this with your hands using whole wheat pita bread to scoop up the beans.